November is Healthy Skin Month
The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) has declared November as “Healthy Skin Month.” It provides us all with the opportunity to re-examine our own personal approach to skincare and raise awareness about the importance of taking care of our skin.
As part of Healthy Skin Month, the AAD has also shared some helpful, universal tips on how to keep your skin healthy all month, and all year, long:
- Wash your face every day and after exercising. Use mild cleanser and lukewarm water
- Use antiperspirant over deodorant to reduce sweating
- Determine your skin type — i.e. oily, dry, combination, normal or sensitive — and choose the skincare products tailored to that type
- Examine your skin regularly for signs of skin cancer. Look for new or unusual spots as well as anything changing, itching or bleeding
- Protect your skin from the sun by seeking shade, wearing protective clothing and using broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with SPF of 30 or higher
- Consider using petroleum jelly to treat minor injuries and moisturize your dry skin and nails
- Prevent blisters and corns on your feet by making sure your shoes fit properly. Wear nylon or moisture-wicking socks and keep your toenails trimmed
- Moisturize daily and apply your lotion or cream while your skin is still damp from bathing to help lock in moisture and get the best results
If you have any questions about how to better care for your skin, be sure to schedule an appointment with one of our dermatologists today!